The women’s and men’s tennis teams will begin pre-season play over the next two weekends, hosting the USTA/ITA South Regional Championships.

The women’s team will host the tournament from Sept. 19-21, while the men’s team will host the following weekend, from Sept. 26-28. Both teams will battle against respective opponents in the South ITA Region among the Small College Division III bracket.

The women’s team had a stellar season this past spring, winning the NCAA Division III National Championship. Not only did they clinch a championship title, but they also set the program record for most wins with 28 total.

In addition, Head Coach Amy Bryant was selected as the NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Coach of the Year by CaptainU, a network of high school and college players and coaches. But the squad only looks to continue their success as they enter the 2014-2015 season.

“We are approaching this season just like any other,” Bryant said. “The championship was amazing, but we are looking ahead and it is a brand new year.”

While a National Championship win is a valid test of athletic performance and motivation to win, there is always room for progress.

“We are going to focus on doubles, as usual, and make sure we are playing a good aggressive style doubles with strong communication and energy between the pairs,” Bryant said.

The upcoming Regional Championship is an individual tournament, which can often result in players of the same team matching up against one another.

“Playing against your teammates and friends always creates a unique mental challenge,” Bryant said. “Some players handle that better than others.”

The men’s team also had a successful season last year, extending game play into the post-season. During this time, juniors Eric Halpern and Alex Ruderman battled their way in the NCAA Division III Men’s Singles Championships. Ruderman came up short in his opening match in the championships, but Halpern continued onto the quarter final round.

Nevertheless, the men’s team remains determined as they enter this season.

“We lost last year in the quarter finals of the National Championships so we are looking forward to working hard and winning this year,” Andrew Lo said. “There are a lot of good seniors and incoming freshman on the team so there is a lot of talent.”

The men’s team has been gearing up for the season, but with the Regional Championships coming up in two weeks, the Eagles have been preparing for this tournament in particular.

“We are all looking forward to it,” Lo said. “We have been working hard and it will show our coaches and the team as a whole, where we stand right now.”

Overall, the tennis program at Emory has proved to be successful for many years. The women’s team has won a combined four National Championship titles over the last 10 years. The men’s team has won four titles in the same window of time. Both teams continue to aspire towards additional championship titles as they enter the 2014-2015 season..

– By Zoe Elfenbein