Softball

The softball team made short work of Roanoke College (Va.) on Saturday, earning a 15-1 win that moved the 16th-ranked Eagles to 29-6 on the season. Roanoke now stands at 6-11.

Emory struck first and struck fast. Senior left fielder Ally Kersthold started off the game with a double and scored after senior second baseman Claire Bailey reached first on an error. After two walks and a fielder’s choice, Bailey scored on a sacrifice fly from junior catcher Micah Scharff and junior shortstop Moira Sullivan knocked in senior first baseman Megan Light to give the Eagles a 3-0 lead at the end of the first inning.

The Eagles followed with a monster second inning, knocking in eight runs on five hits and a pair of errors. Light and Scharff both hit homers to bring home two runs apiece, while Bailey provided the icing on the cake with a two-out, two-run single that scored Kersthold and senior center fielder Lauren Gorodetsky.

Emory’s offensive onslaught slowed a bit after the second inning, but the Eagles added insurance runs in the fifth inning on a grand slam from Scharff, who knocked in Light, sophomore third baseman Hannah Sendel and freshman designated hitter Tara Fallahee to make the final score 15-1

Every starter for the Eagles reached base safely, but Scharff was the star of the day, going two for three at the plate with an astounding eight runs batted in.

Senior Amanda Kardys pitched five quality innings to earn the win, improving her record to 20-1 on the season.

Kardys surrendered just a single run on five hits, striking out seven batters while walking two.

The Eagles were slated to play Roanoke again in a doubleheader, but the game was cancelled due to inclement weather, as was the team’s doubleheader with Ferrum College (Va.). Emory will return to action on Thursday when they take on Birmingham-Southern College (Ala.) for a doubleheader starting at 5 p.m.

– By Ryan Smith