The women’s basketball team saw their undefeated streak come to an end over the weekend, as the seventh-ranked Eagles dropped two games after opening the season 14-0. Emory lost at New York University (NYU) 77-71 on Friday before dropping a 65-61 heartbreaker at Brandeis University (Mass.) on Sunday.

The Eagles entered the game against NYU fighting for University Athletic Association (UAA) supremacy, as the Violets came in sporting a 14-1 record.

The Eagles fell behind quickly and played catch-up until the 10-minute mark, when they took their first lead of the game on a three-point play from senior forward Gabi Whitmer.

The two teams went back and forth for much of the first half. NYU answered Whitmer’s bucket with a three to tie the game at 14, and held the lead until a layup from freshman center Patricia Mook gave the Eagles a 23-22 advantage with just over four minutes left in the half. The Violets responded with a 7-0 run and were threatening to pull away, but Whitmer jumper cut the halftime deficit to a manageable 33-28.

NYU came out strong in the second frame, extending their lead to 41-32 at the 16-minute mark, but the Eagles responded with four straight three-pointers – two each from senior guards Selena Castillo and Hannah Lilly – to shrink the Violets’ advantage to 45-44.

The Eagles kept at arm’s length until a Whitmer layup with just under nine minutes left gave them back the lead, 56-55.

The Violets responded with a pivotal 12-4 run that lasted three minutes, putting the Eagles in a 67-60 hole with five minutes to go. A three-pointer from sophomore guard Khadijah Sayyid narrowed the deficit, but a pair of NYU layups pushed the lead to eight.

The Eagles didn’t give in. A pair of Castillo free throws put the team back within striking distance – 73-69 – with just over a minute to go.

But the Eagles missed a trio of threes, and the Violets were able to secure possession and sink their free throws to put the game away.

Castillo led the Eagles with 18 points in the game, while Whitmer paced the squad with 12 rebounds and senior point guard Savannah Morgan delivered seven assists.

In their second game of the weekend, Emory once again fell behind early against Brandeis.

However, they chipped away at the Judges’ lead till they pulled ahead 26-25 on a jumper from freshman guard Shellie Kaniut with just over three minutes left in the half.

The layup was part of an 11-0 Eagles run that helped them go into the half with momentum and a 34-27 advantage.

The Judges responded with a run of their own, quickly slicing the lead to 34-33.

Emory gradually extended their lead to double digits and appeared to be in good shape entering the final eight minutes of the game, but Brandeis scored ten consecutive points to pull ahead 62-60 with just under a minute to go.

A wild ending ensued. Freshman guard Fran Sweeney missed a three-pointer on the Eagles’ next possession, but Castillo secured the rebound and was fouled, sending her to the line for two shots.

The senior drained the first but missed the second, leaving the Eagles down 62-61 with 40 seconds to play. The Judges were out of sorts on their next possession.

They failed to inbound the ball against the Eagles’ press and had to call two consecutive timeouts. However, with the shot clock winding down they drained a three-pointer that sealed the game and sent the Eagles to their second straight loss.

Castillo once again led the Eagles in scoring with 20 points, while Lilly led the squad with seven rebounds. Morgan again contributed seven assists.

Emory now stands at 14-2 on the season and 3-2 in UAA play. The women will try to snap their losing streak on Friday when they return home to face the University of Chicago at 6 p.m.

– Contact Ryan Smith