After two hard-fought University Athletic Association (UAA) victories over Brandeis University and New York University (NYU) last weekend, the women’s soccer team took a break from conference play, defeating Agnes Scott College Wednesday by a handsome score of 8-0. The Eagles improved their record to 11-3-1 on the season. 

Emory arguably could not have played any better, outperforming the Scotties in all aspects. From the very start of the game the Eagles controlled the pace, maintaining possession for basically the entire contest. The result was getting nine corner kicks, 31 shots on goal and surpassing their largest margin of victory of the season.

Within the first four minutes of the game, the Eagles scored their first goal on a shot from junior forward Karina Rodriguez. The Eagles kept up their fast pace all game, scoring four times in each half.

Rodriguez led the Eagles in goals, recording the first hat trick by an Eagle since 2007. She attempted eight shots by the time the game was finished. Rodriguez leads all Emory players with six goals and 16 points this season.

Sophomore midfielder Jordan Morell probably had the most impressive goal of the night, scoring from nearly 30 yards out. Morell scored twice, in both the first and second half of the game. Junior midfielder Claudia Rowe capped off the incredible half for the Eagles, scoring her first goal of the season.

The Eagles’ defense was in top shape, as the Scotties only pushed the ball past midfield a handful of times all night. Junior midfielder Kaelyn Lucas, freshman defender Hannah Meyer and sophomore defender Ally Peterson led the defense, allowing just one attempt on goal.

Not only did they hold Agnes Scott in check, but they also were involved offensively. Lucas had two assists in the outing.

The Scotties offense rarely got to the Eagles’ goalkeepers. Between the three goalies that were shifted in and out, they only faced one shot on goal. Junior Gabrielle Pelura saved the only shot by Agnes Scott that was on target.

The Eagles will have the week off before continuing conference play against the University of Rochester on Friday, Nov. 1.

– By Michael Scheck 

Photo courtesy of Emory Athletics