Freshman Anna Gurney dribbles the ball down field. Gurney and the Eagles fell to Kenyon College (Ohio) 1-0 on Saturday, Nov. 15. Their season ended after this loss, leaving them with an overall record of 11-2-6. Courtesy of Emory Athletics.

By Jenny Nutovits
Staff Writer

The Emory women’s soccer 2014 campaign came to a close on Saturday with a loss against the Ladies of Kenyon College (Ohio) in the first round of the NCAA Division III Women’s Soccer Championships.

The win boosted the Ladies’ record to 13-7-1 and put them into the second round of the tournament, of which they were knocked out on Sunday.

Although the Eagles maintained most of the possession throughout the first half of the game, dominating the Ladies with shots on goal at 11-2, Kenyon was able to take the lead. Kenyon senior forward Becca Romaine took a shot on goal outside that flew just above junior keeper Liz Arnold’s hands, upping her goals on the season to 17.

The second half presented the Eagles with a couple of opportunities to score.

The Eagles were able to outshoot the Ladies 12-1, with a 7-0 shots on goal advantage.

In the 56th minute, two corner kicks set senior center midfielder Jennifer Grant up with shots on goal. However, the first shot went off the post, and the second shot flew wide of the net.

Grant was understanding of the unpredictable nature of the game.

“Even though the final game didn’t turn out how we wanted, probably how we deserved for it to turn out, sadly that is soccer,” she said.

Senior forward Emily Feldman was able to take a low shot on goal during the 82nd minute, but Kenyon’s junior goalkeeper, Alissa Poolpol, was able to make a diving save and maintain Kenyon’s 1-0 lead.

This was the last game Grant and the other seven seniors on the team would officially play as Eagles.

“I am so proud of our team and how we have grown and developed through the season – it was a really memorable year, especially for me since it was my last one,” Grant said. “All the girls younger than me will make me proud going forward.”

The No. 21-ranked Eagles finished their season with an impressive 11-2-6 record.

“It was a disappointing end to a great season,” Arnold said. “[But I’m] so lucky to have been able to play with eight amazing [current] seniors for three years.” ​

– By Jenny Nutovits, Staff Writer