The men’s and women’s track and field squads had a busy weekend, competing in both the Bob Pollock Invitational in Clemson, S.C. and the Tiger Indoor Invitational in Sewanee, Tenn.

Emory competed on Friday and Saturday at Clemson University, in a meet that included primarily Division I opposition.

The team performed well in the face of strong competition, as members of both the men’s and women’s teams ran strong races.

Notable performances from the women’s team included sophomore Julie Williamson, who ran the 800-meter in 2:22.11, setting the season high for all Emory runners. Junior Electra Korn set a new personal record in the 200-meter dash with a time of 26.17 seconds.

Senior Emily Caesar placed 10th in the mile run with a time of 5:13.60, running the event for the first time in her career.

Caesar narrowly beat out fellow Eagle Stephanie Crane, who finished 11th with a time of 5:14.99. Junior Debora Adjibaba placed ninth and 14th in the seeded 200-meter and 60-meter dash, respectively.  Senior Meredith Lorch finished 7th in the seeded 3000-meter run, finishing with a time of 10:45.00.

The men’s team also ran well at the invitational. Standout Eagles included sophomore Adam Rabushka, who placed fourth in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.71 seconds. Junior Ankush Mohile placed sixth in the same event, and also earned 15th place in the 400-meter dash. Junior Gui Silva led all Eagles in the 200-meter dash with a time of 23.10 seconds, good enough for a ninth place finish.

Silva also placed 11th in the 400-meter run, which was the fastest recorded time for any runner this year in the entire University Athletic Association (UAA).

Senior Eric Weiner ran the fourth fastest mile, clocking in at 4:36.78, and senior William Matheson finished 13th in the 800-meter run. Dennis Kamara placed 13th in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.22 seconds.

The Tiger Indoor Invitational was hosted by the University of the South, and also saw Eagles place highly in a number of events.

Junior Elaina Kim set a personal record in the long jump, jumping 5.36 meters, which earned her second place in the event. Senior Morgan Monroe won the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 8.47 seconds, and also placed fourth in the 55-meter dash. Freshman Harley Barrera placed fifth in the 200-meter dash, junior Katie Wilson claimed third in the high jump and sophomore Alexandra Aiello was sixth in the pole-vaulting competition.

Senior Brandon Bassell won the high jump for Emory, clearing the bar at 1.83 meters. Junior Mike Moserowitz had the third highest long jump with a leap of 6.43 meters, which was the second longest in the conference this season. Junior Zachary Rosenberg finished with the sixth fastest time in the 200-meter dash, while fellow junior Matt Dry also finished sixth in the 800-meter run. Sophomore Young Jin Kim placed fifth in pole vault with a distance of 3.81 meters, sophomore Jacob Seigel finished fourth in the shot put with a throw of 12.42 meters and sophomore Taylor Jarl got second place in the weight throw competition with a distance of 12.29 meters.

After impressive performances at both of their weekend meets, both teams will resume competition on Feb. 7 at the Samford Invitational in Birmingham, Ala.

– By Oliver Rockman

Photo courtesy of Emory Athletics