Student Life feature
While incoming freshmen and prospective students eagerly search for the Emory experience with a naïve (and precious) curiosity, the typical Emory student has grown accustomed to these experiences and may even take them for granted.

I am one of those students who has become desensitized to my life as an Emory student. The novelty with which I perceived my Emory experiences was lost somewhere along the hundreds of trips I made to the Dobbs University Center, or somewhere in the dimly lit parking lot of the Toco Hills Steak ‘n Shake at 2 a.m., or somewhere inside cloudy memories which have receded into an unforgiving night on Eagle Row.

The truth is, I have forgotten what makes me unique as an Emory student. For this reason, I aspire to publish a weekly manifesto: a declaration of intentions (and suggestions), that if acted upon, will allow any Emory student to seek out and live their Emory experiences to the fullest potential.

Between the hours of 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Tuesdays, the Emory Farmer’s Market sets up along the Cox Hall Bridge. Farmers, cooks and food artists alike line up to sell their local organic and sustainably produced bread, meat, cheese, fresh produce and other artisan products. Beginning next Tuesday, and every Tuesday thereafter, I intend to live my life in accordance to the Farmer’s Market Manifesto:

1. Before I leave my apartment, I will ensure that I have at least $5 in my wallet so that I may afford one modestly priced food item from the Farmer’s Market. If said money is not there, I will harass my roommates for money, aggressively dig through the seat cushions of my couch for any spare change it may be hiding or dip into the cash that mom and dad told me to use only in case of an emergency.

2. I will allocate 15 minutes between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. to thoroughly explore the various options that the Farmer’s Market offers. I will also overlook the fact that I have consumed similar food items to those offered at the market in the past 48 hours because these items are likely far superior in their tender loving care content than their processed counterparts.

3. I will abide by the Rule of Three: if I am to sample three items at a particular tent, then I must commit myself to purchasing an item from that tent. I will abstain from creating an elaborate excuse as to why I cannot afford to purchase the tent’s product because it’s obviously delectable, and I need to either a) consume it immediately or b) add it to my empty mini-refrigerator.

4. I will learn to affiliate my hunger with the goods offered by local producers at the Farmer’s Market to restrict my impulse buying on other days of the week. In doing so, I will condition myself to be patient for next week’s Farmer’s Market. If I am craving kettlecorn, I will learn to affiliate that hunger with Henry’s Kettlecorn. If I am craving tarts, I will hype myself up for The Little Tart Bakeshop. So on and so forth.

5. I will satisfy my caffeine addiction with Blue Donkey Coffee. I will complement said coffee with a Revolution doughnut. Or a Revolution coffee because my caffeine addiction is insatiable.

6. If I purchase an ingredient, I will inquire about explicit directions on how to apply said ingredient to a home dish besides chips and bread. Rumor has it that Fairywood Thicket Farm has a private menu that shows how to prepare various dishes with their delectable jams. I will procure said menu.

7. I will inquire about the backstory to whichever producer I am purchasing from. In doing so, I will befriend individuals like the kind-hearted Jennifer behind Jennifer’s Pesto and will learn about their businesses and creative processes behind their food items.

8. Each week I will purchase from a new tent, or I will bring extra dollars to purchase from a familiar tent.

In fulfilling the items listed above, I will explore food culture, learn to love my local producers and will experience the Emory Farmer’s Market to the best of my ability. This is how I have decided to live my Emory experience. How will you live yours?

– By Casey Horowtiz 

Photo by Casey Horowitz