The volleyball team won two games on Tuesday, defeating Huntingdon College (Ala.) and Birmingham-Southern College (Ala.), each by a score of 3-0. With the win, the team improved its record to 24-2 and extended its winning streak to 12 games.

“[The team] had a great practice week [during fall break],” Head Coach Jenny McDowell said. “[I had] a feeling that we were going to play really well.”

Sophomore middle hitter Shannon Nugent and junior outside hitter Ashley Crawford led the way for the Eagles in the first match against Huntingdon. Each of them finished with nine kills, and Nugent also contributed three blocks.

McDowell lauded the performance of both players.

“Crawford had a great match hitting in front row and defensively,” McDowell said. “She has done a great job all season playing multiple positions. Ashley is an incredibly hard worker and may be one of the all-time greatest teammates here at Emory.”

McDowell also went out of her way to recognize the play of Nugent, whom she labeled an “unsung hero.” Nugent has stepped into a position as a result of injuries, and McDowell feels that the team “hasn’t missed a beat” with her strong performances.

“Nugent has been a consistently great player for us all season,” McDowell said.

Senior outside hitter Leah Jacobs led the team with 10 kills in the Eagles’ second match of the day against Birmingham-Southern. The match was Jacobs’ sixth straight with at least 10 kills, and her 18th of the season. Junior setter Sydney Miles delivered an impressive well-rounded performance with 31 offensive digs, 10 defensive digs and five block assists.

“These two matches proved that everyone we have on our team can be valuable,” Miles said.

These two wins are all the more significant because both Huntingdon and Birmingham Southern are in the southern region, the same region as Emory.

“[Wins in the region] go a long way toward the NCAA tournament seeding,” McDowell said.

These two wins are an important momentum booster for the Eagles as they head into a big weekend of conference play.

“[These wins] got the team off on the right foot to go to conference this weekend and prove that we are major contenders not only in the UAA, but nationally,” Miles said.

This weekend, the team will travel to Chicago for the University Athletic Association (UAA) Round Robin II.

— By Oliver Rockman, Staff Writer