Swimming and Diving

This past weekend, the men’s and women’s teams competed in the 2014 University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship meet, which was held at home in the Woodruff P.E. Center (WoodPEC).

Due to severe weather conditions in the Southeast, three teams couldn’t attend the meet: Case Western Reserve University (Ohio), the University of Rochester (N.Y.) and the University of Chicago (Ill.) Therefore, no official honors were handed out.

Scores will be delivered once these missing teams have their meet this upcoming Saturday and Sunday in Cleveland.

The meets will combine scores to determine winners.

Despite the weather inconvenience, both Eagles squads turned in strong performances.

For the women, senior Sarah Greene had an excellent performance on both days, earning all-UAA honors and first place with her score of 464.00 points in the one-meter dive.

The Eagles especially stood out on the 800-yard freestyle relay, as the women broke the conference record at the meet as freshman Marissa Bergh, sophomore Carolyn Bonfield, junior Nancy Larson and senior Courtney McDermott finished in first place with a time of 7:29.02.

In the 200-yard freestyle relay, freshmen Claire Liu and Bergh and juniors Dana Holt and Larson won first place with a time of 1:33.83.

In the 400-yard medley relay, freshman Marcela Sanchez-Aizcorbe, sophomore Ellie Thompson, sophomore Elizabeth Aronoff and junior Larson won with a time of 3:46.30.

Freshman Annelise Kowalsky had an impressive UAA debut as she won the 200-yard IM with a time of 2:03.31 as well as the 100-yard breaststroke, with a time of 1:02.94. This was a conference meet record.

The Emory men also claimed a UAA record in the 200-yard freestyle relay, with senior Ryan Bass, senior Jake Stephens, senior Ross Spock and freshman David Tao earning a time of 1:21.91.

In the 100-yard freestyle Ryan Bass won with a time of 45.59 seconds.

In the 800-yard freestyle relay, the team of freshman Mitchell Cooper, freshman Christian Baker, sophomore Eagan Zettlemoyer and sophomore Matt Kuhlik, emerged victorious, while sophomore Andrew Wilson won the 200-yard medley with a time of 1:52.27.

Senior Darrell Eacret and junior Colin Heil both earned third place in their respective events, with Eacret placing in the 200-yard butterly and Heil in the 200-yard backstroke.

Spock, Wilson, Bass and junior Hayden Baker earned another UAA record in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 3:18.18.

“There was a group of swimmers who definitely stepped into a new level of competition,” Heil said.

“They dropped so much time that they really separated themselves out from the crowd. Freshmen in particular.”

Overall, Emory had outstanding performances throughout the meet, attaining 14 first-place finishes, as well as four conference record-setting times.

Final scores and victories will be official after the completion of the UAA Satellite meet, which will be held at Case Western.

– By Catalina Marchant De Abreu