Posted: Feb. 23, 2014 at 5:35 p.m.

By Jordan Friedman
Executive Editor

A 17-year-old woman reported to Decatur police that she encountered a man Saturday on Erie Avenue in Decatur whose appearance matched the one shown in the sketch of the suspect in the reported rape near Emory Village, according to Jennifer Ross, community information and education officer at the City of Decatur Police Department.

Earlier this month, a female Emory student reported to police that she was raped in a wooded area between Dowman Drive and Oxford Road, and the University subsequently alerted the Emory community through a school-wide email. The Emory Police Department (EPD) released a sketch of the suspect last Saturday. The suspect may also be linked to three other attempted sexual assaults in DeKalb County, police said last week.

The woman who reported encountering the male on Friday said that as she was walking on Erie Avenue, she passed a man walking in the opposite direction, Ross said in a statement. The man then turned around and started walking about two feet behind her, the statement says.

The man did not speak or make physical contact with the woman. She ultimately walked up to a nearby church and waited there before returning home, Ross said. The suspect continued walking east on Erie Avenue.

The suspect was described by the woman as white, unshaven and in his late 50s, with a slight hunch in his posture and wearing an orange beanie cap, a hoodie and blue jeans. After locating and viewing the sketch, the woman said the man who followed her appeared to be the same man as the one pictured, Ross said.

Decatur police have been in touch with EPD and the DeKalb County Police Department, according to Ross’ statement.

Emory and DeKalb police are conducting a joint investigation of the reported rape and attempted sexual assaults.

“The actions of the complainant in being aware of her surroundings, reacting to her uneasiness and changing course to locate a safe place are actions the Decatur Police Department would recommend if you are in a similar situation,” Ross said.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Decatur Police Department at (404) 373-6551.

– Contact Jordan Friedman at
jordan.m.friedman@emory.edu

Follow Jordan Friedman on Twitter @jmfriedman8

If you have been affected by sexual assault, abuse in a relationship or stalking, you have support at Emory. Contact Lauren (LB) Bernstein in the Respect Program in the Office of Health Promotion at 404-727-1514 or Lauren.Bernstein@emory.edu to schedule a confidential consultation.