We’re counting down the days until classes start with Summer Snapshots from students around the country–and the world! Want to share what you did this summer? Contact Social Media Editor Jenna Kingsley at jdkings@emory.edu and we might feature you on our Facebook page. This list will be updated daily, so keep checking back for more snapshots!

Aug. 13, 2014– 14 days until classes begin

day 14

We’ve hit the two-week mark; only 14 more days of freedom! Today’s Summer Snapshot is from Anusha Ravi, whose spring Study Abroad trip in Cape Town, South Africa carried into the summer months: “One of my favorite trips of the semester was along South Africa’s Garden Route, which is basically a road trip across different little towns and tourist attractions throughout the country. We made a lot of stops along the way, including one at a Rastafarian community, Bloukans Bridge (the highest bungee jump in the world), and Knysna Elephant Park, where this photo was taken. Knysna is a captive elephant sanctuary and research center which houses many elephants from all across Africa. This elephant, Sally, is the big mama and matriarch of the group! It was a truly amazing moment to see such an enormous yet peaceful creature.”

Aug. 12, 2014– 15 days until classes begin

15 days

15 days left of summer! Today’s Summer Snapshot comes from Washington, D.C., where we see College senior Hannah Finnie (circled) casually standing behind (from left to right) U.S. Senators Dick Durbin, Mark Udall, Al Franken and Elizabeth Warren: “This summer I pondered life’s existential questions, like “Why do I spend two hours a week watching the bachelorette?” and “Is non-partisan redistricting a better option than partisan redistricting?” while interning at the Center for American Progress, a think tank in Washington, D.C. In the end, I decided that it’s because I strongly support strong, female role models who leave their jobs as lawyers to find love (in a hopeless place) and that non-partisan redistricting is in fact a better alternative to partisan redistricting. Then I wrote a report on it (non-partisan redistricting, that is). I also lost my wallet in the East Room of the White House.” Photo courtesy of U.S. Senate Democrats’s Flickr page.

Aug. 11, 2014– 16 days until classes begin

16 days

16 days until classes begin! Today’s Summer Snapshot is from College sophomore Rifat Mursalin in Antwerp, Belgium: “Moroccan explorer Ibn Battuta once said, ‘Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.’ This summer, I’ve gotten closer to understanding what this really means. After completing my French study abroad program in Paris, I embarked on a journey across Europe for eight weeks. For these weeks, I traveled without a set itinerary or any schedule. Now, nearing the end of my journey, I have been to over 50 cities–some were the largest in the world, and others were remote towns–in 10 countries. Throughout my journey, I’ve met like-minded people from every corner of the world, including some ATLiens in Florence, Italy. This summer has been filled with incredibly exciting adventures every single day. Thanks to Emory for its study abroad opportunities, because if it wasn’t for that, I probably wouldn’t have come abroad in the first place!”

Aug. 10, 2014– 17 days until classes begin

17 days

We’ve only got 17 days left of summer! Today’s Summer Snapshot is from College sophomore Rasika Tangutoori in Seville, Spain: “Studying abroad in Spain this summer was an experience I will cherish forever. It is incredible how I’ve learned so much about the Spanish language and culture in six short weeks. I’m grateful for the opportunity to have studied at one of the oldest universities in the world, to have been continuously stunned by the beauty of the monuments and landscapes, to have been warmly welcomed into the households of my host families and to have had the experience with an amazing group of students and professors at Emory Univerisity.”