Sophomore defender Hannah Meyer dribbles the ball. Although Meyer and the Eagles are 7-1-3 overall, their loss to Chicago last Sunday brought their conference record to 0-1-1. / Photo courtesy of Emory Athletics

The fifth-ranked women’s soccer team fell to the 14th-ranked University of Chicago (Ill.) 2-1, last Saturday at home. It was a tough loss for our Eagles, especially because they seemed to outplay the Maroons the entire second half.

The game started back and forth, with various corner kicks by both teams. Unfortunately, the Maroons struck first, scoring off a free kick that bounced off an Emory defender’s head and into the goal in the 19th minute.

Following the goal, the Maroons carried their momentum, piling on more shots until a lightning delay that occurred around the 37th minute. The delay lasted for over an hour.

As soon as the half resumed, Chicago revitalized their strong play. Within 30 seconds, junior forward Mary Bittner scored her fourth goal of the season off a low pass from junior forward Julia Ozello. At the half, the Eagles trailed by a score of 0-2.

“They came out prepared and ready to go,” Head Coach Sue Patberg said. “We broke down and allowed two goals in the first half.  These UAA teams know how to hold leads, so we need to be prepared and focused moving forward.”

The Eagles rallied together the second half, outshooting the Maroons 10-0. They were able to score one goal, but fell short in tying the game.

In the 69th minute, senior forward Karina Rodriguez scored off a corner kick from senior forward Charlotte Butker, who has the second most assists in the program’s history, with 26 throughout her career. Emory pushed hard the rest of the half, but could not produce an equalizer.

Both goalkeepers deserve credit for their strong play. The goalies played the entire 90 minutes and made multiple saves. Chicago senior goalkeeper Mallory Morse made six saves, while Emory junior goalkeeper Liz Arnold made two.

“We’re hoping to rebound from our loss against Chicago and put on two great performances against NYU and Brandeis (Mass.) and hopefully get in the win column of the UAA,” Arnold said.

Chicago is now 10-2-0 overall and 1-1-1 in UAA play for the season, while Emory fell to 7-1-3 and 0-1-1.

The Eagles’s scheduled game against Birmingham-Southern College (Ala.) for Monday, Oct. 1 was moved to Oct. 28, due to expected thunderstorms. The Eagles will play New York University (N.Y.) away today, Oct. 17.

– By Michael Scheck, Staff Writer