Courtesy of Emory Athletics Freshman Michelle Satterfield prepares to return a serve. Satterfield paired with senior Gabrielle Clark for the Eagles' number one doubles team on Monday against NAIA opponent Georgia Gwinnet College. Emory defeated Georgia Gwinnett 6-3.

Courtesy of Emory Athletics
Freshman Michelle Satterfield prepares to return a serve. Satterfield paired with senior Gabrielle Clark for the Eagles’ number one doubles team on Monday against NAIA opponent Georgia Gwinnet College. Emory defeated Georgia Gwinnett 6-3.

The women’s tennis team traveled to Georgia Gwinnett College (GGC) on Monday afternoon for a rematch of an early season match – the Eagles defeated the GGC Grizzlies, the top-ranked NAIA school, 7-2 on Feb. 25. The score was different, but the result was the same, as the Eagles prevailed 6-3.

Emory, currently ranked second nationally in Division III, improved to 20-2 on the season. Georgia Gwinnett fell to 13-3. It was the Grizzlies’ first home loss of the year.

The Eagles used a strong performance in the singles matches to earn the victory. Emory won each match from the one through five spots, spearheaded by senior Gabrielle Clark’s victory in number one singles and sophomore Beatrice Rosen winning in number two singles.

Clark defeated GGC’s Valeria Podda in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. Rosen similarily had little trouble taking care of the Grizzlies’ Judith van Fraaijenhoven, prevailing 6-1, 6-0.

Freshmen Melissa Goodman and Katarina Su both gutted out key three-set wins.

Georgia Gwinnett did earn the edge in doubles play, taking two of the three matches. The lone Emory win came in the number three game, with Rosen and junior Rebecca Siegler teaming up to earn an 8-2 victory.

With the win, the Eagles’ winning streak is now at nine matches.

Next up for the Eagles is their most important stretch of the season – the University Athletic Association (UAA) championships, beginning this Friday against New York University in Altamonte Springs, Fla.

– By Ryan Smith