The 48th Legislature of the Student Government Association (SGA) convened last night as Dave Furhman, senior director of Emory’s Food Service Administration and the Food Advisory Committee Emory (FACE), provided an update on Emory Dining’s upcoming changes this year. The Legislature also voted to table a University Senate bill.

Furhman spoke to SGA about changes that will occur in the upcoming year. On the first day back from fall break, a new convenience store will open downstairs at the Dobbs University Center (DUC). The convenience store, called “Eagle Convenience,” will be open from 8 a.m. to midnight all week, including weekends. Furhman added that there will be a freezer that contains Amy’s frozen food items including vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options.

Additionally, Furhman said there will be a sub shop inside the store that uses Boar’s Head meats and cheeses. He described it as “like Subway, but with good stuff.”

He emphasized that the pricing will be either the same or similar to Publix’s subs. The store will not contain items that require much cooking, Furhman said.

Furhman mentioned that the Pasta John’s station at Cox Hall was introduced this fall and is still being tweaked. The vegetable pricing will be decreased as one of the changes.

Furhman noted that this is the final year of a 10-year contract with Sodexo, so Emory Dining has created a request for proposals that focus on quality components of the dining program. Furhman said several large food service companies are expected to be bidding for the contract.

Emory Dining will assemble a committee charged with reviewing proposals, conducting site visits, sitting in on finalist presentations and recommending which of the vendors to select. An undergraduate and graduate student from Emory and Oxford College and a faculty and staff member will also join the committee.

“We are not dissatisfied with Sodexo, but it is our responsibility to see what else is out there after 10 years,” Furhman​ said.

In response to a question about whether the meal plans will be changed by a new food service provider, Furhman said they will not necessarily be affected. He told SGA that bidders can provide advice about alternative meal plan options, but Emory Dining does not have to implement those options.

Furhman emphasized that one of Emory Dining’s goals is to provide healthier food options and to reduce and eventually eliminate processed foods. For example, 100 percent grass-fed beef is one of the changes that will be made.

Additionally, Emory Dining would like to increase its sustainability up to 75 percent. Furhman stated that it is at 26 percent right now and progress is to expected to increase each year.

Furhman also discussed some changes to Emory’s Dining program that have already been made. For example, the coffee shop on the first floor of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, which was previously Jazzman’s Cafe, is now Peet’s Coffee. Additionally, Highland Bakery is now open on the weekends as part of a trial run in order to see if the business will flourish.

Following Furhman’s discussion about Emory Dining, the legislature moved to discuss upcoming campus events and bills that are to be introduced.

College junior and SGA Chief of Staff Adam Goldstein spoke about “Campus Couches” that will be introduced today. Couches will be arranged in a living room setting on the quadrangle, the freshmen quad and Asbury Circle.

The Legislature voted to table Bill 48s101, “Bill to Call for the Establishment of a University Senate Student Caucus and Accountability in Attendance,” until next week’s meeting because James Crowe, College senior and chief justice and University-wide senator, was not present.

Bill 48s101 would create a University Senate that would review changes that concern general University interests. It would be the sole opportunity for students to directly provide policy changes that affect the entire University, according to the text of the bill.

The bill is to expel members who have two unexcused absences in a row or four absences in the academic year. The discipline process of University Senators will be in the hands of the University Senate rather than the SGA or its divisions.

That bill introduced by Crowe states that one of the reasons for its introduction was “the embarrassingly low attendance at University Senate and Senate Executive Committee meetings” in the past.

The Legislature will vote on this bill at next week’s meeting.

– By Avanti Patel