Police have obtained video footage from the night of the reported rape near Emory Village, according to DeKalb police Capt. Stephen Fore, who said the footage is low quality but may show the suspect before the incident took place.

A female Emory student reported to the Emory Police Department (EPD) last month that she was raped in a wooded area between Oxford Road and Dowman Drive. Since then, police have released a composite sketch of the suspect, who may be linked to three other attempted sexual assaults near Emory’s campus.

The video footage would be the only other visual piece of information, along with the sketch, that police have obtained about the suspect in their investigation, Fore told the Wheel.

The news website Decaturish.com first reported on the video footage last week. According to Fore, the video may show the “person of interest” in the case, though he is not 100 percent sure at this point because the images are not clear. Fore clarified that the video does not contain any footage of the reported rape.

Fore said that the video “hasn’t turned out as promising as we had hoped.” The video footage came from a security camera near the location of the reported incident, he said.

“We’re trying to get it enhanced,” Fore said. “It may be useful to us at some point.”

The perpetrator was last seen running from campus toward Emory Village and is described as a white male in his mid-to-late 50s, about 5 feet 10 inches tall, according to a University statement. He has a reddish or brown beard and was wearing a beanie cap, tan or brown jacket, dark blue jeans and brown boots.

According to Fore, each of the incidents in which he was allegedly involved happened within a mile radius of each other.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact EPD at (404) 727-6111.

– By Jordan Friedman

If you have been affected by sexual assault, abuse in a relationship or stalking, you have support at Emory. Contact Lauren (LB) Bernstein in the Respect Program in the Office of Health Promotion at (404) 727-1514 or Lauren.Bernstein@emory.edu to schedule a confidential consultation.