Freshman-Halls

Emory’s newest residence building, Raoul Hall, is set to open up to residents this fall and will welcome more than 330 freshmen, Resident Advisors and Sophomore Advisors.

The residence hall, named after Eleonore Raoul Greene, who became the first woman to graduate from Emory Law School in 1920, also houses the Residence Life Administrative staff who moved into the new building last month.

The building, will be established as a “Social Entrepreneurship Learning Community” as part of Emory’s living-learning communities program. The theme seeks to find innovative solutions to social problems.

The building is primarily composed of double rooms and double semi-suites, with a limited number of single rooms, according to Assistant Vice President and Executive Director of Residence Life & Housing Andrea Trinklein.

Trinklein said the implementation of the long-term freshmen housing plan has been ongoing since its announcement in 2006, seeking to centralize freshmen housing options in the center of campus.

She added that Raoul Hall is the sixth building in that plan and has individually been in the planning and construction stages for the last two years.

Turman, Few, Evans, Longstreet-Means and Hamilton Holmes residence halls were all part of the 2006 freshman housing master plan.

However, like many construction projects, Raoul Hall faced a few “bumps” on the way. Trinklein said that the largest hindrance to the hall’s progress was mostly due to rain and other weather related issues causing short-term delays to the schedule.

Trinklein added that like any new residence hall, staff is in place to assist during the move-in process and year-long adjustment process. She said that if any difficulties arise post-construction, Emory staff and the contractors will partner to identify solutions and correct any issues.​

– By Dustin Slade

Atlanta Hawks Beat Writer |
Dustin is a senior from Miami, FL in the Goizueta Business School studying strategy & management consulting and finance. He joined the Wheel’s editorial board in the spring of his freshman year and spent the next two years helping lead and shape the news team. Outside of the Wheel, Dustin is also a member of Zeta Beta Tau fraternity and an avid South Florida sports fan… even without LeBron James.