Letter From the Editor

On Friday, January 18, 2013, the editorials section of the Wheel published an editorial in which a student made unsupported allegations against University President James W. Wagner.

I would first like to say that the Wheel does not share the values or sentiments expressed in any of the editorials it publishes other than with its staff editorial. This has always been the policy but it bears repeating.

With regards to the editorial in reference, I decided to remove the piece from our website. Aside from the question of whether the allegations are true, I am dismayed and sincerely apologetic, to President Wagner in particular, that the piece, itself, did not go through proper editorial channels before being published. I take accusations very seriously, and this piece should have received more editorial oversight than exercised. Such oversight is designed to ensure that our content is sufficiently supported or credible.

The Emory Wheel, by charter, is a student newspaper, but as editors we hold ourselves to higher standards. We strive to serve the Emory community to the best of our ability, but at times we falter in that mission. When those moments arise, I expect the Emory community to hold us accountable for our missteps, and for us, as a paper, to learn from our mistakes.

Evan Mah
Editor in Chief

• SRC member

The Emory Wheel is not funded or supported by Emory, and as such is supposed to be a place where students can express their views free of censorship by the Emory administration. This editorial had an important message to share with the Emory community, and I am concerned and saddened to see it removed.

• Question

Is he talking about the editorial wherein a female student accused Wagner of slapping her?

• smitty

it shouldn’t have been published without at least seeking comment from Wagner or checking to see if the author had filed a formal complaint with Emory. its pretty irresponsible to just throw out an accusation like that

• SRC member

Emory publishes press releases all the time quoting Wagner and other admins without asking for student input, why should student op-eds require statements from Wagner?

• Crafty

To be fair, those statements are rarely in the form of accusations.

• Pingback: SRC member details harassment by Wagner | Stop the Cuts at Emory