Honor Council

The following reports are real cases adjudicated by the Emory College Honor Council. Any personally identifiable information has been omitted to protect the privacy of all parties involved.

– A sophomore admitted to violating the Honor Code after using a cell phone during a lower level social science course make-up exam. The student, who took the test alone, gave the proctor his cell phone as requested before starting the exam, during which phones were forbidden. The proctor, however, later returned to find the student using a second phone that contained course material. The student received an F in the course and a two-year mark on his record.

– After her partner copied and pasted answers to a homework assignment from a website – without changing the font to match the rest of the assignment – a senior in an upper level science class narrowly avoided a permanent mark on her record. Though it was she who turned the assignment in, the student informed the Honor Council that she and her partner, who admitted to plagiarism, had divided the work, and that she had not reviewed her partner’s answers prior to submitting the assignment. The Honor Council found her account credible but gave her a verbal warning.

– While grading a senior’s open-book exam, during which use of laptop notes but not the Internet was allowed, a professor came across what appeared to be answers taken from an online source. The student, however, said that he had not used his laptop during the test. He provided his notes and study guide, which included supplemental information taken from the Internet, to the Honor Council as evidence. The professor and the Honor Council reviewed the student’s notes along with his exam and found his explanation credible.

– Compiled by Senior Staff Writer Lydia O’Neal

A College senior studying economics and French, Lydia O’Neal has written for The Morning Call, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Consumer Reports Magazine and USA Today College. She began writing for the News section during her freshman year and began illustrating for the Wheel in the spring of her junior year. Lydia is studying in Paris for the fall 2015 semester.