The following reports are real cases adjudicated by the Emory College Honor Council. Any personally identifiable information has been omitted to protect the privacy of all parties involved.

– The Honor Council found a sophomore in a lower level humanities course guilty of plagiarism after a professor noticed that the student’s research paper consisted of just 10 percent of his own writing. In addition to submitting a bibliography of several unscholarly websites, the student had copied verbatim material from a dozen different online sources. After failing to attend an expedited hearing, the student received an F in the course, a mandatory educational program on plagiarism and a 2-year mark on his record.

– After finding that a sophomore student’s work on a blog post seemed more sophisticated than much of the student’s previous work, a lower level humanities course professor typed some of the student’s responses into a Google search, only to find that a large portion of the responses matched an online source that had not been referenced. Though the student admitted to plagiarizing the work, the professor recommended that he not fail the course. The Honor Council gave him a zero for all work on the course blog (about 20 percent of his grade) and a 2-year mark on his record.

–By Lydia O’Neal