A couple of days before a friend of mine deployed to Afghanistan, I went to dinner with his family. I was stunned when, after talking to his mom for only a few minutes, she told me that upon hearing her son was about to deploy, people would ask if America was still sending troops to war. I couldn’t believe that a war, which had pervaded every aspect of my life, was so insignificant to others who are so removed from an army burdened by constant deployments. It worries me that my friend’s profound sacrifice may go unnoticed by those who don’t have a close friend or family member who serves.

Like many young officers who commissioned in my year group, I joined the army to serve my country during wartime. I made this decision during my time at Emory and began officer training shortly after graduation. My choice felt deliberate and meaningful. I could think of nothing more rewarding than wearing a sacred uniform and leading young Americans who felt the same urge to serve their country while she prosecuted two wars overseas. Through all my training, the prospect of serving in Afghanistan loomed large. Every bloc of instruction my peers and I received whether technical, tactical, or moral was learned and practiced with the war in Afghanistan lingering in the backdrop. It is not an exaggeration to say that I have thought about the war every day since I’ve entered active service. My assignment to the First Cavalry Division, one of the most deployed units in the army, only intensified my contact with the results and daily realities of America’s longest war.

The day my friend was scheduled to fly out of the country I dropped him off at his company. As we unloaded his bags from my car we were surrounded by hundreds of deploying soldiers in the midst of tearful goodbyes to their loved ones. They are the ones who boldly answered their country’s call to serve during wartime. They are the ones who hug their loved ones one last time without knowing if their world will be the same when they return. The ones who risk life and limb to serve in a region of the world where daily mortar attacks, IEDs and small arms fire are the norm. Many of these combat soldiers know they will return with memories that scar and color the rest of their lives and yet the majority still volunteer and serve honorably. It is a privilege to serve with men and women like my friend and from the bottom of my heart, I thank them for their service. It is my hope that we all recognize how lucky we are to have them and that these soldiers’ tremendous sacrifice doesn’t wane in our society’s memory.  As our last combat brigades deploy and return home from Afghanistan, we must not forget what they have given up to make sure America’s withdrawal from Afghanistan is both safe and successful.

Neel Vahil is a graduate of Emory University and is currently serving as a combat arms lieutenant in the First Cavalry Division in Ft. Hood, Texas.