A female Emory student reported to the Emory Police Department (EPD) that she was sexually assaulted at Sigma Nu fraternity house early Wednesday morning, according to a University-wide email sent Wednesday afternoon.

Interim Vice President for Communications and Marketing Nancy Seideman sent the email, which stated that the incident of “forcible fondling” allegedly occurred a little after 1 a.m. on Wednesday at Sig Nu’s house at 10 Eagle Row.

According to the email, the perpetrator, an unidentified male student, approached the female student in the common area of the house, touched her breasts and genital areas over her clothing, reached up her shirt and attempted to put his hands down her pants.

In the email, Seideman wrote that the male student was reported as white with blond hair, approximately six feet tall and around 20 years old.

The female student also told EPD that she believes the perpetrator is an Emory student, according to the email.

In a statement to the Wheel, Sigma Nu President and College junior Evan O’Keefe wrote on behalf of the fraternity: “We at Sigma Nu take these allegations of sexual assault very seriously. We are currently conducting an internal investigation, and we plan to cooperate fully with the Emory Police Department and Emory University in their endeavors. Our organization does not condone activities like this and intends to help the Emory Police Department ensure that our campus is safe for all members of the community.”

The University-wide email recommends that students stay cognizant of their surroundings, communicate with their sexual partners and remember that most sexual assaults occur between acquaintances.

Anyone with information about the alleged incident is encouraged to contact EPD at (404) 727-6111, the email says.

If you have been affected by sexual assault, abuse in a relationship or stalking, you have support at Emory. Contact Lauren (LB) Bernstein in the Respect Program in the Office of Health Promotion at 404-727-1514 or Lauren.Bernstein@emory.edu to schedule a confidential consultation.

Updated: Feb. 19 at 9:40 p.m.