The Wheel sports team caught up with two impressive freshmen pitchers on Emory baseball team, which is off to a 6-2 start this season.

Hans Hansen is a righty from Playa del Rey, Calif. He’s already made two starts on the year, winning both of them–a pair of six-inning, eight-hit, three-run efforts against Cal Lutheran and Piedmont College. For the season, he’s 2-0 with a 4.50 earned-run average, numbers good enough to earn him UAA Pitcher of the Week.

Andrew Doetsch is a righty from Atlanta. He’s also appeared twice on the season, both times in relief. He’s totaled two and a third innings thus far, posting a 3.86 ERA and four strikeouts.

Wheel: Tell me a little about the trip to California.

Hansen: The California trip was a lot of fun, especially because I’m from there. It was nice to go home to see my family and girlfriend and play there a little. We played Cal Lutheran, Pomona, Occidental. There’s talk about Cal Lutheran being ranked as the number three team in D-III. We split with them which is huge.

Doetsch: It was an incredible way to start out season. I’ve never experienced anything like it. I’m from Georgia. That’s how I got interested in Emory. I had mostly played local games here. The experience playing in California was absolutely incredible.

Wheel: What has the transition to college ball been like?

Hansen: It’s interesting. College ball is more my thing. It’s weird because I was a closer in high school and now I’m a starter. It’s a little different. I’m adjusting. I’m used to throwing 80 or 90 pitches every time I go out. It’s a lot of fun.

Doetsch: College ball is completely different. In high school, I was the man. Coming to Emory, I have to prove everything again. Getting to work with all the coaches has been an outstanding experience. Even from the brief time I’ve had with them, I’ve gained a wealth of knowledge and progressed as a player way more than I ever had before.

Wheel: What are your expectations for the team this year?

Hansen: I expect us to at least make regionals. I think we have a good enough team to do that. If we don’t, it’ll be because of ourselves, not because other teams are better.

Doetsch: Keep on the track that we’re on. Everybody’s been working hard, both the pitchers and hitters. All the freshman were thrown into the mix, but the team chemistry is so fantastic that I really think if we keep doing what we’re doing, we’ll have a shot.

Wheel: You have a roster of 37 this year. What is it like to play on such a big team?

Doetsch: We’re almost the same size as a Major League team [on a 40-man roster], so it’s been great just because there are so many people you can learn from and so many people you get to work with. It creates that sense of competition, but we still work together as a team and we’re really blessed to have the people we have. Everyone contributes.

Hansen and Doetsch will be back in action this weekend when the Eagles take on Methodist University (N.C.) in a road doubleheader starting Saturday at 1 p.m.

– By Zak Hudak