Administration Building | Photo by Luyao Zou

By Lydia O’Neal
Senior Staff Writer

The number of Emory College and Oxford College Early Decision I (ED1) applicants rose again this year, albeit by less than last year’s growth in high school seniors making Emory their top choice, according to a Nov. 24 University press release.

Emory College saw a nine percent rise in ED1 applications, from 1,146 applicants last year to 1,253 this year. Oxford College received 25 percent more ED1 applications than the previous year, up to 454 applicants this year from 363 last year. Emory College and Oxford College saw respective ED1 applicant increases of 20 percent and 35 percent in fall 2013.

“Last year’s [growth] being 20 percent – that’s huge,” Assistant Vice Provost for Undergraduate Enrollment John Latting said when asked about the decline in growth over the past year. “The nine percent that we have is still a big number, and I’m really pleased with it.”

Latting added that last year’s increase likely reflected a nationwide trend in high school counselors advising seniors to apply early to their priority schools. Half of the class of 2018, he said, applied either ED1 or Early Decision II (ED2).

“We don’t want to go any higher than that,” Latting said.

Growth in ED1 applicants at both colleges was predominantly driven by international students and American students living abroad, who accounted for 70 percent of this year’s ED1 increase.

Latting and Oxford College Dean of Enrollment Services Kelley Lips pointed to the addition of several international recruiting representatives – up to four from just one representative two years ago – as a primary reason for the jump in international ED1 applicants.

“This is not just an Emory phenomenon,” Latting said, noting the increase in the number of students outside the U.S. taking the SATs. According to a National Business Times report, the number of international students taking the SAT has doubled over the past eight years.

Because of the number of Emory’s international ED1 applicants, Latting said he expected a proportional increase in international regular decision applicants at both colleges, as committing to an overseas school early is a significant promise for families outside of the U.S.

“It’s hard for families to make the decision … it’s more complex for them,” Latting said, adding that international students have such aspects as visas, flights and language proficiency to consider.

China accounted for half of the growth in international students, according to Latting.

“Not just in college admission but also in economic terms, China is really growing,” he said. “Right now we’re living in an era of the growth of China.”

Increases in ED1 applications came from inside the U.S. as well, specifically California, as well as much of the western and midwestern U.S., according to Latting. The most common state origins of this year’s ED1 applications included Georgia, Florida, California, New York and New Jersey. The latter two states and most of the mid-Atlantic region have had a strong presence in Emory’s ED1, ED2 and regular application pools for decades, Latting said.

In terms of demographics, the fastest ED1 increase came from Hispanic and Latino applicants, Latting said, adding that he expects the trend to continue.

Overall, Latting and Lips were happy to see that growing numbers of students considered Emory their top choice, according to press release statements from both.

“It’s great to see a rising interest in Emory,” Latting said. “It’s always good to have more talent to choose from.”

The ED1 applicants will find out whether or not they are going to join Emory’s class of 2019 on Dec. 15. The deadline for ED2 and regular decision applicants is Jan. 1

– By Lydia O’Neal, Staff Writer