Courtesy of Emory Athletics Senior Gabrielle Clark fiercely returns a shot. Clark and the Eagles did not lose a set in their singles competitions in their outing against Brenau University last Tuesday.

Courtesy of Emory Athletics
Senior Gabrielle Clark fiercely returns a shot. Clark and the Eagles did not lose a set in their singles competitions in their outing against Brenau University last Tuesday.

This past Tuesday, the women’s tennis team faced Brenau University at the Woodruff P.E. Center. Emory dominated throughout the six singles matches and the three doubles matches, winning 9-0 to extend their winning streak to seven games. Only the doubles matchup between Emory’s Gabrielle Clark and Michelle Satterfield and Brenau’s Dominika Jasova and Zalina Nazarova was in doubt, but the Emory pair prevailed 8-6.

In all of the singles competitions, Emory did not lose a single set. Only the first set between Emory’s Melissa Goodman and Nazarova was close. Goodman was victorious in the set, and won her matchup after a retirement from Nazarova in the second set.

After this victory, Emory improved their record to 19-2 on the season. Emory is now ranked No. 2 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings behind Williams (Mass.). With such an impressive overall season thus far, Emory is one of the top contenders for the national championship. They are led by Clark, a senior from Chicago, who is the top ranked singles player in the Atlantic South region. They have a mix of experience and new contributors, which bodes well for the current and future success of the team.

Coming off last season’s second place finish in the NCAA Division III Championships, Emory is determined to win a national title. Williams is in the middle of a dynasty period, as they have won the past six NCAA Division III Championships. Emory finished second in both 2010 and 2013.

The last time a team has been this dominant was when Emory won the national championship four times in a row during the 2003-2006 seasons. In fact, Emory and Williams have won 12 of the past 13 national titles.

Coming up, Emory travels to face Georgia Gwinnett on Monday. While Georgia Gwinnett College is not ranked in the top 30 in the ITA rankings, Emory will not take this match lightly. Emory must perform well in every match in order to both maintain their ranking and to keep momentum going into the upcoming NCAA Division III Championships in May.

Considering many of the major contributors are freshmen, each additional match provides valuable experience and preparation heading into the crucial playoff matches.

Overall, Emory is in top form and is looking to make a run at a NCAA Division III National Championship and end Williams’ six year run of dominance.

– By Shawn Farshchi