Dear Doolina, 

It’s almost the end of the semester, and I feel like I’m the only one of my friends without a summer internship. I’m a rising junior and am worried that I’m getting left behind professionally. What should I do to make use of my summer? 

– Without an Internship

Dear Without an Internship,

I can assure you that you’re not the only one out there without an internship. What will separate you from the rest of the people who were unable to get an internship is how you decide to move forward. Don’t mope around all summer, lamenting the fact that you didn’t receive any offers. Instead, try to find a volunteer position in a field related to your career interests. If you’re pre-med, try volunteering at a hospital or if you’re interested in political science, ask your local government if they take volunteers. If you also need to be generating income this summer, try to find a job that you can work while also volunteering in your field of interest. Working a minimum-wage job can impact you in positive ways you didn’t expect. Next summer, be prepared and start figuring out your summer plans sooner. Best of luck!

Delightfully,

Doolina

Dear Doolina,

My boyfriend just broke up with me, and I’m getting a lot of advice from my friends telling me to just not think about it until after finals. How can I process this breakup and survive finals?

– Suddenly Single

Dear Single,

First, I’m sorry about your breakup and sympathize with your situation. Honestly, I don’t think you’ll be able to simply pretend like the break up didn’t happen until after finals. My advice is to deal with the aftermath of the break up now so that hopefully you’ll be in a somewhat better place by the time finals roll around. If you need someone to talk to, try seeking out counseling from Student Health Services. Your professors are also more understanding (and human) than you might think – if you’re having trouble keeping up with your classes, reach out to your professors and let them know what’s going on. They may be able to help work around your issues.

Delightfully,

Doolina

Dear Doolina,

This might sound ridiculous, but I can’t see myself in a relationship with someone who has opposing political views.  What do you think of this?

– Polarized

Dear Polarized,

If you can’t see yourself dating someone, don’t date that person. That being said, you might be surprised at how much you have in common with someone who possesses different views than your own. Our political culture right now is incredibly polarized, which I think may make you feel more of a difference in politics and ideas than actually exists. Take the time to really get to know someone before judging him/her by his/her political beliefs. That being said, if you find out that your beliefs are simply not compatible, move on.

Delightfully,

Doolina

Dear Doolina,

Every time I take a shower I am terrified that my roommate is waiting behind our door to scare me when I come back to the room. I don’t know what it is, but I have a bad feeling that she’ll pop out and scream at me, causing my towel to drop and reveal things nobody is prepared to see. As a result, I shower once a week when she’s gone. What should I do to stop this madness??

– Scared to Shower

Dear Scared to Shower,

I have a few solutions to your dilemma:

1. Change in the shower stall after showering. This way, even if your roommate scares you when you get back to your room, you’ll still be clothed.

2. Only shower once a year when your roommate’s out of town. European royalty used to do this, so that’s a fun fact you can bring up if your friends and random strangers commenting on your stench.

3. Change roommates.

Delightfully,

Doolina

Have questions for Doolina? Submit them at http://bit.ly/XPt3Y5.