Brent Morin / Michael Fier

Photo by Michael Fier

Comedian Brent Morin, one of the stars of NBC’s sitcom “Undateable,” shed his insecurities and bore all to a packed Harland Cinema last night as part of the Student Programming Council’s (SPC) Homecoming Week. The comedian was able to keep the room roaring with laughter as he jumped between bits about spoiled ex-girlfriends, his experiences in high school and guys who wear pastel-colored shorts.

Opening for Morin was Jon Rudnitsky, an actor-comedian hailing from New Jersey.

“We’re gonna have fun tonight,” Rudnitsky said. “We’re gonna go to ZBT, right? Get fucked up, right?”

Morin followed Rudnitsky’s opening act by jumping right into why people should not try to be cool.

“Everybody looks so fresh and nice,” he said. “Most of you aren’t cool. Most of you are dorks. Most of you have zero friends and are weird looking.”

Throughout his act, Morin would draw inspiration from various members of the audience, sparing no one.

“Look at you. You just come from money, don’t you,” he said, turning and looking at one side of the audience.

Morin is a regular performer at historic venues, such as Hollywood’s the Laugh Factory, The Comedy Store and the Improv. He has credited his time being an assistant on “The Tonight Show” during Conan O’Brien’s tenure as being the launchpad to his career.

“I actually owe a lot to [Conan],” Morin, a graduate of Columbia College Hollywood in Los Angeles, said in an interview with Access Hollywood in May.

To wrap up his set, Morin gave three pieces of advice to all Emory students; “have fun,” “enjoy your life” and “if you don’t think that you’re going to last long, leave with something.”

Most of the students who left the event did so with smiles on their faces, retelling jokes that they heard only minutes before.

“It was really funny,” College senior Christopher White said. “I had heard a few of his jokes on YouTube, but it was amazing just to hear the entire set. He killed it.”

Just after the show, Goizueta Business School junior Max Mayblum, the SPC member responsible for bringing in the comedians, said that he was “unbelievably happy with the performers.” He added that having Harland Cinema filled to capacity was “incredible.”

The show rounds out the first half of Homecoming Week.

“Overall, Homecoming has been a major success,” College sophomore SPC Homecoming Co-Chair Marisa Hann said. “Experimenting and trying new things with this year’s Homecoming Week has definitely given us the confidence to explore and try new things in terms of different types of events.”

SPC Homecoming Week Co-Chair College senior Rabia Malik echoed this sentiment.

“Overall, the week has been hugely successful,” Malik said. She added that she is looking forward to the Homecoming Ball ft. electronic dance music group Cash Cash on Friday night and the Homecoming Parade and Sugar Ray concert on Saturday to close out Homecoming.

–By Adam Iyob, Contributing Writer