Grab your Golden Ticket – this year’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory-themed Dooley’s Week will feature Chance The Rapper, mash-up artist 5 & A Dime, comedian Chris D’elia and spoken word group The Asia Project, according to a Student Programming Council (SPC) press release.

5 & A Dime, who opened last year during Dooley’s Week for rapper Kendrick Lamar, will perform on McDonough Field on Friday, April 4 and Chance The Rapper will perform the following night for Spring Band Party, the culmination of Dooley’s Week.

Chance The Rapper, the stage name of 20-year-old Chancelor Bennett, is an American hip-hop recording artist from Chicago, Ill. who rose to prominence last year following the release of his first two mixtapes. “Cocoa Butter Kisses,” “Juice” and “Everybody’s Something” are among Chance’s most popular songs.

“This year’s lineup is great,” College senior and Band Party Co-Chair Zach Atlas said.”Chance was honestly one of the most frequent requests students suggested for the spring act. He’s exciting and is really taking off, having recently collaborated with Justin Bieber, Lil Wayne and Skrillex.”

The Asia Project, a spoken word poetry group that has been featured on HBO and BET, will perform at Dooley’s Week inaugural event, Wonka’s Speakeasy, on Tuesday, April 1. Modeled after an open-mic night, Wonka’s Speakeasy will seek to reach out to students who traditionally do not attend SPC events, according to Dooley’s Week Co-Chair and College junior Mukundha Sastry.

Sastry added that the event will provide Emory students a chance to showcase their talents in a comfortable and intimate atmosphere.

Comedian Chris D’elia, who previously appeared on NBC’s “Whitney” and will star in an upcoming NBC show “Undateable,” will perform Thursday, April 3 at the Glenn Memorial Auditorium.

Emory’s student-run radio station WMRE is co-hosting this year’s Dooley’s Week.

WMRE normally puts on their own concert every spring but this year chose to put $7,000 of their budget toward the Dooley’s Week performers in an effort to reach more students, according to Goizueta Business School senior and WMRE General Manager Wilma Qiu.

Qiu added that because B-School senior Jordan Francis books talent for both SPC and WMRE, he helped facilitate the partnership between the organizations.

While most of the performers have already been booked, Qiu added that WMRE’s current goal is to continue to search for and book the opener for Chance.

“Chance the Rapper will have a terrific opener,” Atlas said. “The contracts are being finalized, and the act will be announced in the near future.”

Although both Qiu and Sastry expressed excitement regarding the new partnership, SPC and WMRE have yet to decide whether this partnership will continue in the coming years, according to Qiu.

“[Dooley’s Week Co-Chair and College junior Michelle Feldman] and I truly believe that this will be one of the best Dooley’s Weeks in Emory history,” Sastry said. “The new events and traditions of the week will definitely put a smile on every student’s face. We hope Emory is as excited as we are. Get ready for an awesome week!”

– By Dustin Slade

Atlanta Hawks Beat Writer |
Dustin is a senior from Miami, FL in the Goizueta Business School studying strategy & management consulting and finance. He joined the Wheel’s editorial board in the spring of his freshman year and spent the next two years helping lead and shape the news team. Outside of the Wheel, Dustin is also a member of Zeta Beta Tau fraternity and an avid South Florida sports fan… even without LeBron James.