Candler Launches Five New Degree Programs

Emory University’s Candler School of Theology announced last week the creation of five new degrees to address the changing needs of the church and expand theological perspective beyond religious occupations.

The brand new degree programs include a Doctor of Ministry, Master of Arts in Religious Leadership, Master of Arts in Religion and Public Life, a dual Master of Divinity/Master of Development Practice and Master of Divinity/Master of Social Work.

The Doctor of Ministry degree, set to lunch in fall 2014, is a three-year program geared toward current pastors who “got out in the real world and got to know what they don’t know,” Brent Straw, associate professor of Old Testament and director of the program, said in a Sept. 17 Candler School of Theology press release.

The classes for the program will be offered online as a part of an initiative from Candler to utilize technology as a learning tool and to allow students to continue participating in their congregation while they are enrolled in the Doctor of Ministry program.

“They can stay put where they are and get an degree online,” Love said.

The program has two tracts, Church Leadership and Community Witness, geared toward those who want to work inside and outside the church, and Biblical Interpretation and Proclamation, for students who want to focus on the theology, interpretation, teaching and preaching of the Bible.

The final degree project required for completing the program is spread across three years.

“The program has been carefully designed by the faculty for maximum utility,” Strawn said. “It’s ideal for ministers who both need and want to dig deeper for the sake of their ministries and churches.”

The Master of Arts in Religious Leadership is a two-year program designed for those who wish to serve in the church as volunteers and staff.

Students are able to choose from five concentrations: Mission, Evangelism and World Christianity, Justice Peacebuilding and Conflict Transformation, Pastoral Care, Ministries with Youth and Worship and Music.

“These are people who want to lead in the church and elsewhere but don’t want to be ordained,” Love said.

Students can complete the degree on a full-time or part-time basis and have access to online courses starting in spring 2014.

Meanwhile, the Masters of Arts in Religious and Public Life is a one-year degree geared toward lawyers, doctors, nurses, social workers and other professionals in non-religious fields.

“They come into contact with religious questions in the workplace, but they don’t know how to answer them,” Love said.

In addition to the new programs, two dual degrees are being created.

Candler and the Laney Graduate School have teamed up to create the Master of Divinity/Master of Development Practice degree, which started this fall.

The program was created for those who have an interest in doing sustainable development work and addressing social and economic issues as part of a holistic ministry approach, according to the press release.

Additionally, the Master of Divinity/Master of Social Work is a partnership between the University of Georgia and Candler, which will begin in the fall of 2014, and is a four-year program for those who are considering the role of faith and religious institutions in community health and development.

Courses will be split between both Candler and the University of Georgia’s Athens campus, the press release says.

When the three new degree programs will begin next year, Love said she expects approximately 50 students to enroll.

Prospective students can learn more about the new degree programs and apply online on the Candler website.

— By Bryan Cronan

18 COMMENTS

1. [...] Emory University’s Candler School of Theology launches five new degree programs The new degree programs include a Doctor of Ministry, Master of Arts in Religious Leadership, Master of Arts in Religion and Public Life, a dual Master of Divinity/Master of Development Practice and Master of Divinity/Master of Social Work. Source: The Emory Wheel [...]

2. The fees and the penalties are checked before finalizing
    a loan and the terms and the conditions for obtaining this loan has to be
    studied very carefully. The folks on this group are these with rising buying energy capacity.
    It will also help you to increase the value of your home, while making living in it, much more comfy.

3. Your can update with you and the other third parties that you simply want
    to be notified on the loan method. Jumpstart your career in the
    mortgage business, starting today. Should you prefer to make use of a nearby broker, you’ll
    be able to get a shortlist of 3 economic advisers within your region from Independent Monetary
    Promotions (IFAP) It is possible to alsolook on the net
    at the quite a few directories of mortgage brokers on-line to find 1 that finest suits you.

4. Ask the contractor to provide at least three referees and check them out.
    Make sure the guarantee is in writing and that it includes a guarantee against leaks, defective materials,
    and defective workmanship. How to Plan for life as a Government
    Contractor in A War Zone – Damaged Tank, photo by Charles
    Buchanan – Things you’ll need to have prior to deploying:· Passport and
    several photo copies of the identification page.

5. Do not settle with one hardwood flooring installation contractor.
    Contractors receive a form 1099 that shows only the gross
    amount paid to the contractor. How to Plan for life
    as a Government Contractor in A War Zone – Damaged Tank, photo by Charles Buchanan – Things you’ll need to have prior to deploying:· Passport and several
    photo copies of the identification page.

6. Sometimes the only thing that is insured is the vehicle and it is not even on
    a COMMERCIAL POLICY. Bring your laptop, most places have internet access.
    How to Plan for life as a Government Contractor in A War Zone – Damaged Tank, photo by Charles Buchanan – Things you’ll need to have prior to deploying:· Passport and several

7. Behavioral: Does the company control or have the right to control
    what the worker does and how the worker does his or her job.
    However, do not just settle for a contractor because his charges are low.
    These so-called cowboy contractors are the people
    who rip off their clients by taking more money than necessary then botching up the job
    they were paid to do.

8. Do not settle with one hardwood flooring installation
    contractor. Once you have your short list of companies you should visit their office and see how
    they run their own office. These so-called cowboy contractors are the people who rip
    off their clients by taking more money than necessary then botching up the job they were paid
    to do.

9. Do not settle with one hardwood flooring installation contractor.
    Make sure the guarantee is in writing and that it includes a guarantee
    against leaks, defective materials, and defective workmanship.
    The agreement should specify whether the contractor is paid on an hourly or
    time and materials basis, or is paid a project fee
    based on deliverables.

10. Behavioral: Does the company control or have the right to control
    what the worker does and how the worker does his or her
    job. Sometimes, you can get one with huge
    modern ideas but with many practical faults in the
    construction, and sometimes you shall find a wonderful builder with
    minimum odds of defects but with no awareness of the
    up-to-date drifts for kitchen remodeling.
    The agreement should specify whether the contractor is
    paid on an hourly or time and materials basis, or is paid a project fee based on deliverables.